CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Why am I a Muslim?


Does God Exist?


That was the topic of the talk that I went to this evening. Quite an interesting talk. Personally, what caught my interest was the Q&A session. I was intrigued to hear what the other non muslims think about Islam. I was intrigued to know how they feel after hearing the talk. Are they annoyed? Have a twitch of interest or curiosity of Islam flickered at all? At least a tiny, tiny bit.

One question from the audience, who is a non muslim, caught my interest. One simple question. A one sentence question. But the question had quite a big impact on me, I have to say.

"Why are you a Muslim?"

Simple as that.

But, if that question was directed to me by my non muslims friends, I would be left in awe. I would have not known how to answer that question.

After that question was delivered, I questioned myself. Why am I a Muslim?

I am a Muslim because I am born and brought up as a Muslim.

Now, if I were to give that as an answer, I would not blame the non muslims for not being convinced. Even I myself am not satisfied with my own answer.

Why am I a Muslim?

I do believe in Allah, please by all means, do NOT get me wrong. I am thankful to Allah for giving me this nikmah of Islam. A nikmah that is not given to everyone. I do not want to take this nikmah for granted, which I am afraid that I might have. I am afraid that there are times in the past 23 years that I have lived where I have taken it for granted. I have breathe in His air, walked on His ground, using the legs that He gives me. And yet, I have sinned.

Just because we are born as Muslims, we tend not to learn much about it. Just because we are born as Muslims, we do not appreciate it as much as the newly reverts.

It is a shame, ain't it. It is like receiving a key to an extraordinarily beautiful castle, but only to leave it in the desk, collecting dust.

Just some thing to ponder upon.

4 comments:

Hacked by w3d0z said...

that question is short but so hard to answer if we're not really appreciate and practice Islam as a way of life...

becoming a Muslim is the greatest nikmah ever.. may Allah always protect our Iman, insya Allah...

Alhamdulillah, this talk really do inspired me to find the truth of Islam

ihsan_huhu said...

y i am a muslim?

bcoz i like usha awek tudung lol

Anonymous said...

http://www.qatarliving.com/node/623304

your article "Why am I a Muslim" has been used by a miscreant who has already expressed his unislamic views online on several occasions. Although, this is no fault of yours as the said article is written with noble intentions. I would be curious to know if the said person has recreated the piece with your permission.

Anonymous said...

I personally feel some people are Muslim while other's choose to be Muslim. In my opinion, one has to ask oneself "Why i choose to be a Muslim". If one hasn't thought about this question, most probably he/she is a Muslim(not by choice).