CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Beautiful yet crappy day

i had a crappy start today. i took the 8 am shuttle bus to get to northern general hosp (NGH) and arrived there around 0830. I was torn into two, either to attend a clinic with Dr Stewart or to attend another ward round with the SPR. I thought that i would benefit from the clinic more, so i decided to go to the clinic. Hence, i went to the outpatient department, and went to the reception, clarifying if Dr Stewart is having her clinic today at 9. They said no.

Ok, that's weird. Cause I know she has a clinic on Wednesday. That's what is said on the timetable. So I went in to the MacMillan Palliative Care Unit again, and asked one of the staff nurses if she knew anything about the clinic. She told me that Dr Stewart does has a clinic at 9. At the Chest clinic. Its a good thing i asked her where the chest clinic was. If I had not asked, i would have ended up in Chesterman Wing.

She told me to ask the reception at the hospital main entrance. So, there I go again. Bracing myself through the quite cold morning, I hassled myself to the hospital main building. The receptionist gave me the direction to the clinic. Which led me exactly back to the Outpatient Department 1. Ok. Not good. I was back to square one.

I told the reception at OPD 1 what happen. Then she told me that "Oh, that clinic must be at Outpatient Department 2 then,". Crap. Super crap. That is a long way from where I was then. I did not even have to think long before deciding that I am just going to miss the clinic and attend the ward round instead.

Which I did. And, as always, it was a depressing round. All of the patients are dying. One of them is too drowsy to stay awake. One of them looks like a bag of bones. Huhu. They are all in such a heart breaking condition. Which reminds me, one of the patients that I saw on Monday passed away on Tuesday. This is just a sad, sad placement..

By noon, i was supposed to clerk a patient for tomorrow's ward round, but he was too tired to talk. Fair enough. I will be talking to him the first thing tomorrow morning before the ward round. Later, I took some bloods. Alhamdulillah, this time i managed. I failed miserably last Monday, and my confidence level at that time was a bit low. Alhamdulillah, I managed to do it this time at first attempt. Haish, that was the first time I took blood since almost 9 months ago!

After Zuhr prayer, I had to rush off to St Lukes Hospice. Which is at the other end of Sheffield. Fantastic. I had never been there before. I had just managed to have a peek the night before at its website on directions to get there by bus. Which did not help. Joni texted me the directions to get there. But apparently, they were inaccurate directions.

I got lost by the time i stepped out of NGH. Tried to find the bus stop to catch bus 81 or 82, but failed. Apparently, I walked out to the wrong entrance. So, I had to walk all the way around that extremely and annoyingly HUGE NGH to get myself to the right entrance. Tried to find the right bus stop. But again, to no avail. It was rather hot at that time. My stomach was churning as I had nothing to eat since 7 am. Lets just say I was not in my best condition.

I grabbed the bus to city. I was completely clueless on how to get there from city centre. The 81 bus driver and I had quite a long chat, trying to figure out the best way for me to get there. Hehe. Bless him. He tried to help, but the plan didn't work out. Argh. I felt like crying at that time. Me and directions. Me and going places. Me and my bearing. ALWAYS FAILS.

It was 10 to 2. And my session starts at 2. Tears started to well up. As always. Huhu. I couldn't be bothered to find the right bus anymore. I just proceed with Johan's suggestion. Take the cab. How much it would cost me didn't matter at all to me at that time. I couldn't care less. I just want to be there. As fast as I can.

And i did. I took a cab, and arrived there 15 minutes late. Turned out, another 2 of our members got lost as well. Hey, I am not the only one. Hehe.

An interesting thing happen on my way to the hospice. Which will be written in the next post as this post is now getting too long. Hehe

0 comments: