CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 12, 2010

The time is near

Oh my. My blog has been collecting dust. It has been so long since I scribbled a thing or two in this blog of mine.

I passed my written finals, alhamdulillah. Now, I am in my third week of my first four-weeks placement. Am currently doing Gastro in Northern. Which I find is quite interesting. Although majority of the patients that we see in what-is-supposed-to-be a Gastro ward do not present with gastro problems and hence I am not really achieving my goal to brush up my knowledge on gastro, but I still do enjoy my placement. Instead of learning pure gastro, I get to polish my knowledge on general medicine as a whole. I also find it quite challenging, which is a plus. A patient could come in with anything listed in our thick Kumar and Clark textbook, hence we have to always be prepared.

Our knowledge has got to be tip top by now. Supposedly, by now, we should know everything by heart. Ask us anything; the signs, symptoms, management, prevention; and we should come up with an answer straight away. The right answer to be exact. Well, that is at least what that is expected of us. Huhu. I have not reached that level, well at least not yet. I am still struggling to apply the theories that I have learnt into practical. Which I find is one big challenge. But I guess with practise, I will get there. I hope.

I am no longer merely a figure joining a crowd during the consultant ward round. Now, I am actually a part of the team. Which means I carry a small responsibility to the patients on wards. I am in charge of either writing down notes in the patients' notes during ward round. And oh man, to write whilst standing with one hand supporting a thick patient's notes is not easy. And apparently my consultant speaks at the speed of a bullet train, so that does not make it easier for me as well. I always feared that I might have wrote things wrongly or miss something extremely important!! And I do not like to see my handwriting turning extremely ugly because I had to write at a fast speed, which I am not used to. Oh well, hopefully I will get use to it with time insyaAllah.

I've wrote my first TTO. I've also arranged my first referral to a clinic. I've answered my first bleep when I was on call with my F1. I've ordered my first USS. And I think there will be more of 'my-first' to come, insyaAllah. Everything is just surreal. The time is near.

All the best, dear self.

0 comments: