CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

My GP placement.

"You'll either love it or hate it"

That's what they all said about GP placement. And I for sure am LOVING it!

Interestingly, I find myself enjoying this placement very much. Maybe it is because of the fact that I don't have to spend my weekdays over there. I know it is more of a psychology-thingy i guess, but it is true. I feel much better knowing that i am able to go home everyday. They can detain me for long hours in the clinic, yet, i still will go home with a smiling face. Because I know i will be going home to to familiar faces and will be able to bunk in my own comfy zone everyday. That makes a lot of difference.

Despite the fact that i have to wake up early in the morning to catch a bus from the West St to interchange, and then from interchange to swallownest, i am not complaining. In fact, i quite enjoy doing that. I love having to breathe in the fresh morning air. Everything is so calm, so serene. Not forgetting the lovely sceneries that my eyes get to devour on, all the way to Swallownest. Seeing the wild yellow dandelions basking proudly under the sun, covering almost every inch of hills in this one particular area in Rotherham, just takes my breath away.

All of the staffs in Swallownest are extremely friendly and helpful. Maybe that's what that makes me enjoy my placement more. And i kind of like the idea of going to patients' houses, to treat those who are house-bound. Those who are too ill to get out of the house to walk to the clinic. To see the strong relationship between doctors and their patients just amazed me. Its amazing to see how much the patients actually confide to their GPs. They trust them, respect them and some of them even spoil their GPs with gifts and chocolates! hehe. Now, it is not that i want to be a GP so that i can receive chocolates from patients. Hehe. Don't get me wrong. I just love the bond that is build between them. Patients are not merely treated as a patient. They are treated as a whole. A human being. And this is something that you rarely find within the hospital settings.

I got to see the patients at their houses by myself every now and then. And oh my, they can go on and on and on talking about every bits and bobs about their life. What was meant to be a formal visit ( i was meant to take their medical history from them) always turned out to be a friendly tea party! hehe.

Oh well, it is about to come to its end now. I only have another week left for this placement. Then, i have a week on Personality and Professional Development ( i am not sure how the med school is going to make us a professional within a week!hehe). Then I am to Paris for 3 days. And last but not least, i am off to Malaysia!! Yay. Then i have to do 4 weeks of A&E in General Hospital KL. To be honest, i am quite freaked out bout this. To do attachment in Malaysia is something totally new to me. Not sure if i will be able to handle it. Hopefully i will! huhu.

0 comments: