CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Want to be a paramedic? Read this. Heheh

Today, I have spent the whole day with the paramedics. I had been looking forward to it ever since I've started this A&E rotation. I did not had the chance to follow the ambulance peeps during my A&E placement in Malaysia during my 6 weeks electives. So I was quite eager when I found out that Dr Stephenson had allocated each of us a day with the paramedics.

I was in from 10 am til around 6 ish. By the end of the shift, my head has gone all woozy. The ride in the ambulance is definitely NOT a pleasant ride.

If you want to be a paramedic, these are some key points that you need to know beforehand!

1. You have to be a skilled driver. You must be able to drive at high speed, selit selit in between cars, driving onto pavements and be extra alert whilst driving. With the speed you are driving, you are very much prone to have an accident!

2. If you are not the driver, you have to be able to NOT to vomit throughout the whole journey. It is one bumpy ride, I tell you. You must have a strong stomach to be a paramedic! (I could have vomited if I were not fasting! )

3. If the seats in the back are full, you must be able to stand throughout the ride without bumping your head onto the headboard or falling over and hurting yourself. There is already shortage of paramedics. Don't hurt yourself!

4. You must be able to cannulate or intubate or able to perform any other related practical procedure whilst standing. (Remember, it is an extremely bumpy ride!)

5. You must be able to do basic life support by yourself! Things get more tricky when it comes to chest compression. One hand has got to hold on to the rail for support, so that leaves you with only hand to do the chest compression. Which is ridiculously tiring!

Oh I could not think of anything else to write. I did have fun with the paramedics yesterday though. Chris was superb. He has been a paramedic for 20 years, so you can guess how many interesting stories he has to share! He is just brilliant!

So now I am halfway through my A&E rotation. And for this week, I will be doing the nights shift. From 4pm til midnight til Friday and 7pm til 3 am shift on Saturday. Wohoo. Obviously it is not wise for me to go back to Sheffield in the middle of the night, so I will be staying in the hospital's accommodation for this whole week til Sunday. I have almost finished packing my stuffs. Man, my bag is extremely heavy! Loaded with food food and food!! Brahim, serunding, sardine, milk and everything else. You just name it. Huhu.

Hope I enjoy my night shifts this week. At the same time, I hope it passes by quickly as well. Haha. I will miss my comfy bed.

p/s: Halfway through Ramadhan! Fast, ain't it? Ramadhan Mubarak peeps.

Salams :)

0 comments: